Recipe Ideas: The Role of Carbohydrates in our Bodies
Happy National Dietitans Day! Today we want to continue from our recent post about The Role of Carbohydrates in our Bodies, by following up with some great recipe ideas for you at home!
Whole Wheat Pasta Primavera
- 10 oz. dry whole wheat penne pasta
- Salt for water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into quarter portions
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup edamame, thawed
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved through the length
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan, divided
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne pasta in salted water according to package directions, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion and carrot and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and bell pepper then sauté 2 minutes.
- Add squash and zucchini then sauté 2 – 3 minutes or until veggies have nearly softened.
- Add white beans, edamame, garlic, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Pour veggies into now empty pasta pot or a serving bowl, add drained pasta, drizzle in lemon juice, season with a little more salt as needed and toss while adding in pasta water to loosen as desired.
- Toss in 1/4 cup parmesan and parsley then serve with remaining parmesan on top.
Adapted from: https://www.cookingclassy.com/pasta-primavera/
Wild Rice & Veggie Soup
- 1 cup wild rice, dry
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 2 cups peeled and chopped carrots (about 5)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped celery (about 3)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups veggie broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups potato, peeled diced potatoes (from about 1 large or 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped frozen or fresh green beans
- 1 1/4 cups frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Cook the wild or brown rice according to instructions, once cooked drain if needed and set aside.
- Dice the extra-firm tofu into bite sized pieces and set aside on paper towel to dry.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté 4 minutes then add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then add green beans.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until potatoes are almost fully tender, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add corn, peas, tofu, and beans and cook 5 minutes longer. Serve warm.
Adapted from: https://www.cookingclassy.com/vegetable-soup/